Ford, a renowned car brand, offers top-of-the-line parts such as the dual-clutch analog-style Transmission Control Module (TCM). The TCM is integral to the performance of your vehicle as it diagnoses the electrical signals coming from sensors. It is essential to reset the TCM to bring back its original settings and rectify any minor errors.
However, if your TCM is functioning well and aiding in comfortable gear shifts, it is advisable not to reset it. While it only takes a few minutes to learn how to reset the TCM on Mazda 3, Ford Focus, or other truck models, it is crucial only to attempt it when absolutely necessary.
When to Reset Ford Transmission Control Module
It is not always necessary to reset the Ford TCM unless you encounter specific driving-related issues. Here are some scenarios when you should consider resetting the Ford transmission control module:
- Struggling to shift into gear from neutral.
- Fuel in your car is being consumed rapidly.
- Car takes longer to accelerate despite pressing the gas.
- Gearbox slips into a different gear without shifting gears.
- Difficulty changing gears or car downshifting too early.
If you encounter any of the above issues, it indicates that the TCM needs resetting.
Explaining How to Reset Ford Transmission Control Module!
You can reset the Ford models by either triggering the battery terminal or trying the ignition key method. Depending on your Ford series, one of the two methods may work.
Before proceeding, ensure you have the right tools for the task. I recommend the DURATECH 3-Piece Ratchet Set, as it is smooth, versatile, and suitable for fitting nuts or bolts.
Battery Terminal Method
To reset the Ford F150 transmission control module, you can follow these steps as it usually works in most cases:
- Open the hood and use the prop rod to keep it exposed. Remove the hood compartment cover upwards. If there is a lock system, unlock it using the ignition key.
- Unmount the nuts and bolts of the lock using a wrench.
- Remove the negative battery terminal using a ratchet wrench. Wear gloves and apply slight force to pull out the terminal. Store the terminal and cable in a safe place.
- Leave the truck idle for about 20 to 40 minutes.
- Reattach the negative terminal and cable using the same gear. Tighten the nuts and bolts.
- Clean the surface if necessary.
- Check for updates on the transmission control panel. Start your truck to confirm the TCM has been officially reset.
Now you know one of the most effective ways to reset the Ford F150 transmission.
Ignition Key Method
This method is suitable for Ford Fusion transmission reset of TCM and other series as well (except F150):
- Insert the key into the ignition of your truck and do not remove it. Wait for around 30 seconds.
- Quickly twist the key to the secondary (run) position to change the interior settings.
- Shift the gear into Park (P) mode. Ensure no engine, battery, or other parts are functioning during the procedure.
- Turn on your truck ignition (not the engine).
- After 20 seconds, turn off the truck immediately. Then, start the truck for the third time.
- Change the gear to Shine (S). You will hear a sound indicating the TCM has been reset.
Now you know how to reset the transmission control module.
The Ford Transmission Relearn Procedure
After resetting the Ford transmission control module, the next step is relearning. Relearning involves the transmission relearning shift pressure and timing values. Essentially, you are teaching your Ford to move and run with new energy. Here is how you can do it:
- Start your car and set its engine speed to 0-80 mph. Reduce the throttle flow to 25%. Then, gradually slow down the car until it comes to a complete stop.
- Start the car again and increase its speed from 0-80 mph. Set the throttle for gasoline at 50%. Repeat the previous step by reducing the speed and allowing your car to stop.
- Repeat the engine speed once again by starting your car and changing its speed between 0-80 mph. Keep the throttle setting at 100%.
Now, observe the speed gradually reduce until the car completely shuts off. This process resets the gearbox of your Ford to its default setting. It may take around 3-5 days for your car to start driving smoothly again, as it takes a few days for the transmission computer engine to relearn new driving habits.
Ford Focus Transmission Malfunction Reset
If you need to reset the Ford Focus transmission, there is a ‘fast learning’ method that can help. This process will allow your Ford TCM to relearn the CVI (Clutch Thickness Values) numbers and process how to shift with the help of those values when needed. Here is how you can reset the Ford Focus TCM:
- Turn the key to position 2 to see all the dash lights coming on.
- Press the accelerator pedal down and hold it for a few seconds.
- Turn off the key and release the accelerator pedal.
- Wait for a few minutes before starting the car and driving.
That is all you need to do for the Ford Focus TCM reset.
Ford Ranger Auto Gearbox Reset
For the Ford Ranger gearbox reset, follow these steps to control any issues with your Ford Ranger’s automatic transmission:
- Turn on the ignition without starting your engine.
- Once the dashboard light goes out, push the accelerator in the kick-down position and hold it for a few seconds.
- Turn off the ignition and remove the key.
- Release the throttle and wait for a couple of minutes.
- Check whether the gear changes are smoother.
These ‘Ford Ranger TCM reset’ steps can be beneficial if you have problems with the Ranger’s gearbox.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you reset a transmission control module?
Yes, you can reset the TCM unit of any truck, including Ford, as there are no specific criteria or conditions required.
How Long Does It Take to Reset a Transmission Control Module?
Resetting the TCM will take no more than 30 minutes if done correctly by a novice. It may take longer if you are unfamiliar with the basic steps and techniques.
How Do I Know If My Transmission Control Module Is Bad?
You can identify signs of a bad TCM by observing gear changes. Before the TCM unit fails, it will show signs such as poor fuel economy, weak acceleration, frequent gear slipping, and difficulty shifting between gears. A burning smell is another indication of a bad transmission control module.
Whether it is due to fuel consumption, slow acceleration, or poor gear shifting, the TCM unit is usually the culprit. The directions provided are straightforward and easy to implement in real life, solving minor problems. Hopefully, this guide on how to reset the Ford transmission control module has been helpful. With a little effort and patience, you can overcome these obstacles. See you in the next guide!
- Ford X Plan Pricing for the Ford F-150
- Wiper Blade Size for Your 2013 Ford F-150
- Ford F150 Windshield Replacement Cost
- Best and Worst Years for Ford F-150
- How to Find The Ford Transmission Speed Sensor Location?
- Finding your Ford Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- How do I check my VIN number?
- Can I track my Ford Maverick shipment?
- Can Ford SYNC Track a Stolen Vehicle?
- Ford Order Banks Open Today 2023/2024
- When will 2023-24 Bronco order bank open?