The Ford FX4 and 4×4 are two different terms used to describe the features and capabilities of Ford trucks. The FX4 package is an optional package available for select Ford truck models, including the F-150. It is designed to enhance the off-road capabilities of the vehicle. The FX4 package typically includes features such as an off-road-tuned suspension system, skid plates to protect the underbody, all-terrain tires for improved traction, and an electronic-locking rear differential for better off-road performance.
These features make the FX4 package suitable for those who frequently engage in off-road adventures and require a truck that can handle rough terrains with ease.
On the other hand, 4×4 refers to the drivetrain configuration of the Ford truck. A 4×4 truck, such as the Ford F-150 4×4, means that all four wheels of the vehicle can receive power simultaneously. This drivetrain configuration provides enhanced traction and stability, particularly in off-road or challenging driving conditions. It allows the driver to engage four-wheel drive mode when needed, distributing power to all wheels for better control and improved off-road capabilities.
Ford 4×4 trucks often come equipped with features such as a 4×4 transfer case, traction control systems, and Hill Descent Control to further enhance their off-road performance.
The Ford FX4 is a specific trim level or package offered by Ford for select models. It is designed to enhance the off-road capabilities and performance of the vehicle.
- Off-Road Suspension: The FX4 package typically includes upgraded suspension components to improve off-road handling and stability.
- All-Terrain Tires: It comes with specially designed tires that offer better traction on various surfaces, including gravel, mud, and snow.
- Skid Plates: The FX4 trim often includes skid plates to protect the undercarriage of the vehicle from damage during off-road adventures.
- lectronic-Locking Rear Differential: This feature allows the driver to lock the rear differential for improved traction in challenging off-road conditions.
- Hill Descent Control: The FX4 package may include a feature that helps the vehicle maintain a steady speed while descending steep slopes.
4×4, also known as four-wheel drive, is a drivetrain configuration that distributes power to all four wheels of a vehicle. It is designed to provide better traction and handling in off-road or slippery conditions.
Features of 4×4:
- Power Distribution: A 4×4 system evenly distributes power to all four wheels, allowing for improved traction and control in challenging conditions.
- Off-Road Capabilities: With 4×4, the vehicle can handle various off-road terrains, such as dirt roads, rocky trails, and snowy surfaces.
- Engagement Options: Depending on the vehicle, 4×4 systems may offer different engagement options, such as full-time 4×4 or selectable 4×4 modes.
- Transfer Case: The 4×4 system usually includes a transfer case that allows the driver to switch between two-wheel drive and four-wheel drive modes.
- Low Range: Many 4×4 systems offer a low-range gear ratio, which provides additional torque and crawling ability for extreme off-road situations.
3. Key Differences Of Ford FX4 and 4×4:
While the Ford FX4 is a trim level or package that enhances the off-road capabilities of a vehicle, 4×4 refers to the drivetrain configuration that distributes power to all four wheels. Here are the key differences between Ford FX4 and 4×4:
- 1) FX4 is a specific trim level offered by Ford, while 4×4 refers to the drivetrain configuration of a vehicle.
- 2) The FX4 package includes specific features and upgrades designed for off-road performance, such as upgraded suspension, all-terrain tires, and skid plates.
- 3) 4×4 provides power to all four wheels, enhancing traction and handling in various off-road or slippery conditions.
- 4) 4×4 systems can be found in different trim levels or models beyond just the FX4 package.
What do Ford 4×4 trucks have?
- Off-Road Suspension: The FX4 package includes a specially tuned off-road suspension system that provides improved stability, control, and maneuverability on rough terrains.
- Skid Plates: To protect critical components of the vehicle, the FX4 package includes skid plates that shield the underbody from potential damage caused by rocks, debris, or other obstacles encountered off-road.
- All-Terrain Tires: Ford equips the FX4 package with all-terrain tires that offer enhanced traction and grip on various surfaces, including mud, gravel, and uneven terrain.
- Electronic-Locking Rear Differential: The FX4 package often includes an electronic-locking rear differential that helps improve traction by ensuring power is evenly distributed to both rear wheels.
- Off-Road Driving Modes: Some Ford vehicles equipped with the FX4 package offer specific off-road driving modes, such as “Rock Crawl” or “Deep Snow/Sand.”
What features are on the FX4 package for the 2019 Ford F-150?
- Four-Wheel Drive System: Ford 4×4 trucks have a drivetrain system that allows power to be sent to all four wheels simultaneously.
- 4×4 Transfer Case: The transfer case is a critical component of the four-wheel drive system in Ford trucks. It enables the driver to select different drive modes, such as 2WD, 4WD High, and 4WD Low.
- Traction Control Systems: Ford 4×4 trucks often feature advanced traction control systems that help prevent wheel slippage and ensure optimal power distribution.
- Hill Descent Control: Many Ford 4×4 trucks are equipped with Hill Descent Control, a feature that assists the driver when descending steep slopes.
- Off-Road Tuned Shock Absorbers: The FX4 package included specially tuned shock absorbers that provided improved damping and control during off-road driving.
- Skid Plates: The FX4 package added skid plates to protect critical components of the vehicle’s underbody.
- Hill Descent Control: The 2019 Ford F-150 with the FX4 package featured Hill Descent Control for better control and stability when descending steep slopes.
- Off-Road Tires: The FX4 package included all-terrain tires for enhanced traction on various surfaces.
- Electronic-Locking Rear Differential: The FX4 package added an electronic-locking rear differential to improve traction in slippery or uneven terrains.
- Off-Road Ready Suspension: The 2019 F-150 with the FX4 package had a specially tuned suspension system designed to handle off-road conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does FX4 mean on Ford?
The term “FX4” is used by Ford to designate a specific package or trim level available for their trucks. The FX4 package is designed to enhance the off-road capabilities of the vehicle. It typically includes features such as an off-road-tuned suspension system, skid plates for underbody protection, all-terrain tires, and an electronic-locking rear differential. The FX4 package is a popular choice for those who enjoy off-roading or require a truck that can handle rugged terrains.
What is the difference between FX4 and sport 4×4?
The main difference between the FX4 package and the Sport 4×4 package lies in their focus and intended use. The FX4 package is specifically designed for off-road performance and includes features like an off-road-tuned suspension and skid plates. It is geared towards customers who prioritize off-road capability. On the other hand, the Sport 4×4 package is more focused on enhancing the truck’s on-road performance and aesthetics. It may include features like sportier exterior styling, larger wheels, and upgraded interior options. The Sport 4×4 package is ideal for those who want a more aggressive and stylish appearance without the same level of off-road capability as the FX4 package.
Is Ford FX4 package worth it?
Whether the Ford FX4 package is worth it depends on your specific needs and preferences. If you frequently engage in off-road activities or require a truck with enhanced off-road capabilities, the FX4 package can be a worthwhile investment. It provides features and upgrades that improve the truck’s ability to tackle rough terrains. However, if you primarily use your truck for on-road driving and do not require the added off-road features, you may find other trim levels or packages more suitable for your needs. It is recommended to evaluate your driving requirements and consider a test drive to determine if the FX4 package aligns with your expectations.
Why is it called an FX4?
The exact origin of the term “FX4” is not explicitly documented by Ford. However, the “FX4” designation is commonly associated with Ford trucks and is believed to signify “Four-Wheel Drive” and “Off-Road” capabilities. The “F” likely represents “Ford” as the manufacturer, and the “X4” suggests the four-wheel drive system. The FX4 package was introduced by Ford to indicate a specific trim level or package that focuses on improving the off-road performance and capabilities of their trucks.
How many gears does the FX4 have?
The number of gears in a Ford truck equipped with the FX4 package can vary depending on the specific model and year. Ford trucks with the FX4 package typically come with a modern automatic transmission that offers a range of gears for smooth acceleration, towing capabilities, and fuel efficiency. The number of gears can range from six to ten, depending on the specific transmission model and the advancements implemented in the particular year’s model.
What features does FX4 have?
The FX4 package offers various features to enhance the off-road performance and capability of Ford trucks. While the specific features can vary depending on the model and year, some common features included in the FX4 package are an off-road tuned suspension system, skid plates for underbody protection, all-terrain tires for improved traction, an electronic-locking rear differential for enhanced off-road performance, and off-road-specific driving modes or settings. Additionally, the FX4 package may include cosmetic upgrades, such as unique exterior styling elements and interior enhancements to complement the off-road theme.